Abt Associates Programmer Analyst, Social and Economic Policy (Rockville, MD, or Cambridge, MA) in United States
The Social and Economic Policy Division helps guide development of the nation’s prominent policies and programs. Our contributions—at all government levels—have resulted in better programs on housing, community revitalization, education, workforce development, income security, food assistance, and in support of children, youth, and disadvantaged families. Our clients include the Departments of Housing and Urban Development, Education, Health and Human Services, Labor, Veterans Affairs, and the Food and Nutrition Service, among others.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Programmer Analyst to support the Social and Economic Policy Division at our office in Rockville, MD. The Programmer Analyst will provide programming and technical support to Division research and survey projects and develop moderately complex programs that enable the control, manipulation and analysis of data. The candidate must have good working knowledge of application software and languages.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Under direct supervision of a more senior programmer, write computer programs and sub-routines for smaller projects or portions of larger projects, and apply generally acknowledged procedures to test and debug programs
- Write detailed documentation to support the needs of research analysis and program maintenance and prepare reports related to the data collection and data manipulation phases of projects
- Utilize application software to build and analyze moderately complex database designs and combine two or more databases according a logical design format
- Exhibit clear, logical design processes of programs, documentation and reports and assist more senior staff in data management activities
- May, under general supervision, work with clients and more senior staff in developing questionnaires using state of the art survey tools, design survey data sampling processes and control the quality of the data collection process
- May work on problems of diverse scope in collecting clinical data, recognizing data inconsistencies and initiating solutions in collaboration with more senior staff
- May, under general supervision, use several programming language skills to maintain very large data files associated with medical claims and other government programs
- Attend informal and/or web-based trainings to enhance technical and quantitative skills, and achieve required technical certifications
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites:
- 2-4 years working experience with SAS and/or Stata, and the Windows platform
- Experience with other programming languages, packages, and platforms a plus: R, Python, SPSS, ARC/GIS, Tableau, IBM mainframe, AWS, UNIX, and/or CATI systems
- BA/BS with 2 - 4 years of experience programming OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.