Abt Associates Finance Assistant / Finance and Grants Officer (Acholi Sub-Region) - Uganda ICAN in Uganda
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Finance and Grants Officer for USAID/Uganda’s Integrated Community, Agriculture, and Nutrition (ICAN) Activity, which will aim to sustainably enhance the resilience of vulnerable households by increasing economic opportunities for poor households, improving nutrition with a focus on women and children, and strengthening community and local governance. The position will be based in Kitgum, Uganda and will support activities in Nwoya, Gulu and Lamwo districts. We are looking for individuals who are committed to exceeding expectations and who strive to improve the lives of people worldwide.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Regional Team Lead – Acholi, the Finance and Grants Officer will support the Kampala-based Finance, Compliance and Administration Director in the management of finances, administration, and operations for the project within Acholi, and will support the Kampala-based Grants Manager to administer and manage grants within Acholi. This may include, but is not limited to the follow:
- Support the Regional Team Lead in managing finances of and processing payments within the Kitgum office
- Advise, support and monitor financial management practices of ICAN subcontractors to ensure efficient use of ICAN resources
- Provide capacity building for grantees in financial and administrative management
- Maintain grants tracking tool to ensure payment requests for grant deliverables submitted are correctly paid. Work with Kampala-based Grants Manager and Accountant to ensure timely disbursement of funds to grantees to avoid disruption to activity implementation
- Conduct periodic checks of grantee activities as part of ongoing process to ensure that grants are utilized as per grant agreement
- Other duties as required
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s Degree in management, finance, accounting, or a related field and at least 2 years of professional experience
- Experience with finance and/or grants
- Experience working with USAID-funded programs highly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work both as a member of a team and as a team leader, with the ability to accept the inputs of other team members
- Excellent interpersonal communication, organizational, and computer skills
- English language fluency
- (2+) years of experience and bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.