Abt Associates Technical Specialist / Program Coordinator (Abuja) - SHOPS Plus Nigeria in Nigeria
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Sustaining Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS) Plus Nigeria is a multi-year program that will increase contraceptive use among couples of reproductive age, including long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and Plateau State. The project’s approach is to build the capacity of public and private providers through in-service training and to improve the quality of family planning (FP) counseling and service delivery. The project approach builds on the lessons learned from predecessor projects working on FP.
The SHOPS Plus approach is designed to address provider-side barriers to FP by organizing its activities under two intermediate results (IRs):
- IR 1: Increased capability of public and private health providers to deliver quality FP services, including LARC
- IR 2: Improved quality of FP counseling and service delivery by public and private providers
SHOPS Plus is implementing interventions in pursuit of these IRs that enhance the existing provider training system by making it more user-friendly and attentive to underlying factors like gender dynamics and provider bias. These interventions will support improvements in provider attitudes and clinical skills. As a result of program expansion, the project seeks to engage a Program Coordinator that will coordinate program activities in supported states. The program coordinator is expected to work closely with the FP Technical Director to effectively coordinate activities at the state level and provide timely and periodic updates on states related issues.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Work with the FP Technical Director and state coordinators to coordinate field activities to ensure timely implementation of planned activities of SHOPS PLUS Nigeria without compromising quality and efficiency
- Ensure an effective collaboration with the communications and knowledge management unit to identify and document success stories/lessons learned
- Coordinate all programmatic and administrative activities
- Coordinate field input for quarterly reviews and learning cycle activities
- Support in synthesizing reports into presentations and/or summary briefs in collaboration with the communications and knowledge management officer
- Carry out other program related activities as requested by the FP Technical Director
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s Degree (minimum), in Public Health, Social Sciences, Business or other relevant Health Systems Strengthening fields
- At least six years of progressive professional experience in administration and public health
- Experience on USAID project or maternal, neonatal and child health or family planning programming in Nigeria required
- Project support/back-stopping experience desirable
- Demonstrable organizational skills and leadership capabilities and the ability to lead multidisciplinary and multicultural teams desirable
- Knowledge about US Government development assistance policy and USAID operational procedures is desirable
- (4+) years of experience and a Bachelor's degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.