Abt Associates Project Assistant / Communications / Learning and Evaluation Officer (Abuja) - SHOPS Plus Nigeria in Nigeria
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Sustaining Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS) Plus Nigeria is a multi-year program that will increase contraceptive use among couples of reproductive age, including long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and Plateau State. The project’s approach is to build the capacity of public and private providers through in-service training and to improve the quality of family planning (FP) counseling and service delivery. The project approach is building on the lessons learned from predecessor projects working on FP.
The SHOPS Plus approach is designed to address provider-side barriers to FP by organizing its activities under two intermediate results (IRs):
- Increased capability of public and private health providers to deliver quality FP services, including LARC
- Improved quality of FP counseling and service delivery by public and private providers
SHOPS Plus is implementing interventions in pursuit of these IRs that enhance the existing provider training system by making it more user-friendly and attentive to underlying factors like gender dynamics and provider bias. These interventions will support improvements in provider attitudes and clinical skills. To maintain these provider improvements, SHOPS Plus is working to enrich and strengthen the supportive supervision and the complementary systems that promote quality improvement including data management for decision-making. To support the program SHOPS Plus issuing a learning cycle approach to review processes and results and refine strategies in partnership with a wide range of program stakeholders. Abt Associates seeks a qualified Communications / Learning and Evaluation Officer to support the Abuja office on the SHOPS Plus project in Nigeria.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
SHOPS Plus seeks to hire a Communications / Learning and Evaluation Officer to support the implementation of evaluation processes and the facilitation of knowledge building and sharing on the program, approaches, results and lessons learned. The different tasks for this position include:
- Development and implementation of a program communications strategy
- Management of the program’s learning cycle processes
- Work with M&E team to derive learnings from results and ensure that these disseminated using the appropriate media to USAID, government counterparts, the public and other stakeholders as identified including conference participation tasks
- Development of knowledge management products including case studies and success stories to improve the visibility of USAID’s impact in Nigeria, through the project’s implementation in target locations
- Enhance the knowledge, skills and ability of project employees (especially state level teams) to effectively document and disseminate project experience and successes
- Participate in conference planning and technical meetings
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- First degree in Management, Communication, International Development, Public Health, or any related field
- Minimum of 3 years relevant experience in knowledge management, communication, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience developing and facilitating capacity building workshops, stakeholder and media engagements
- Good understanding of health systems strengthening and Family Planning issues in Nigeria
- Publishing/conference submission track record
- Prior experience working in the development sector; Knowledge of US Government development assistance policy and USAID operational procedures is desirable
- Excellent analytical, strategic and innovative reasoning
- Exceptional oral communication, writing and presentation skills
- Strong desktop publishing and infographic skills
- Ability to establish good working relationships as part of a team and maintain a high standard of personal conduct
- ( 3+ ) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.