Abt Associates Driver - Malawi YESA in Malawi
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates seeks a Driver to support the Social and Economic Policy Division on a United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded contract to refine the early grade reading assessment system in Malawi and build the capacity of communities, teachers, and Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology (MoEST) to consistently use this system to improve learner outcomes. The Driver will be stationed in Lilongwe, Malawi, for a period of approximately four years and will operate and maintain a motor vehicle for the transportation of project staff, consultants, and/or partners.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Operates a passenger motor vehicle in accordance with Finance & Administrative Manager or Office Manager’s instructions to transport project personnel and official visitors within the city and surrounding area and travel to the next city
- Maintains vehicle in clean and serviceable condition and performs minor maintenance of a preventative nature
- Maintain an accurate vehicle log book for all trips. May manage a group of drivers and vehicles
- Perform daily inspection of vehicle including tyre pressure, oil and water levels
- Ensure that vehicle insurance is always current
- Report any incidents, accidents or injuries immediately to supervisor
- Quickly notify supervisor about any major repairs and maintenance needed on vehicle
- Follow all driving laws and regulations
- May deliver documents and conduct general business on behalf of the company including basic negotiation skills
- Perform general clerical duties, to include but not be limited to photocopying, scanning, faxing, filing, and mailing
- Represent the project, Abt Associates and USAID with professional behavior and communication skills in a diplomatic manner
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- A minimum of one year experience as a professional driver
- Must have local driver’s license appropriate to type of vehicle operated
- Must be familiar with local traffic laws and area traffic patterns
- Fluency in English
- High school (desirable), valid driver's license, plus six months commercial driving experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.