Abt Associates Administration Manager / Finance and Administration Manager - Malawi YESA in Malawi
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates seeks a Finance and Administrative Manager for a United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded contract to refine the early grade reading assessment system in Malawi and build the capacity of communities, teachers, and Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology (MoEST) to consistently use this system to improve learner outcomes. The Finance and Administrative Manager (F&A) will be stationed in Lilongwe, Malawi for a period of 4 years and will provide financial leadership and oversee and directs all aspects of both financial and administrative support for the YESA Project in country.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop, manage, and monitor project budgets and annual workplans
- Prepare accurate financial reports, and monthly cash fund’s request in close coordination with senior project staff
- Prepare annual site office revenue projections and update budget tracker forecast on a monthly basis
- Ensure that the project operations are in compliance with all USAID and Abt policies and procedures
- Support the startup, general operations, and closedown of the YESA program
- Manage the financial operations and financial reporting of the country program, providing guidance, training and technical assistance to financial and non-financial management personnel
- Supervise and coach the project Accountant and other Administrative staff
- Create and maintain financial reporting and tracking systems that provide basic data measurements on financial performance of project activities and develop/recommned cost cutting and compliant strategies to implement the project with less resources
- Provide ongoing financial administration to the project, including the processing of approvals for procurements, consultant agreements, and vendor invoices
- Manage the timely submission of the monthly field expenses (ROV) to the headquarters office
- Serve as the project’s contact with the client on finance and administrative issues, participating in discussions on contract issues and actions, and following up on client requests and concerns
- Support the development, execution, and management of subcontractor and consultant agreements
- Develop and implement systems to streamline financial practices and procedures
- Inform and maintain project FCA at Headquarters updated on all contractual, financial and legal issues affecting the project
- Perform random audits of inventory to make sure inventory reports prepared by operations team are always accurate and up to date
- Oversee Human Resource activities affecting the project including but not limited to the hiring, termination, benefit tracking and legal disputes affecting current and former site office personnel
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelors Degree (minimum), or a Masters Degree (desirable), in Business , Administration, or other relevant field
- At least ten (10) years of professional experience managing financial and contractual aspects of large international development projects, preferably USAID-finded projects
- Significant experience managing and supervising financial and procurement management personnel
- Familiarity with US Government Cost Accounting Standards
- Strong analytical and computer skills, with an emphasis on budget and financial analysis
- Experience in logistics and procurement highly desirable
- Fluency in English
- (10+) years of experience with a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.