Abt Associates Technical Specialist / Lead Entomologist - VectorLink Mali in Mali
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded PMI VectorLink Project. The PMI VectorLink Project will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Lead Entomologist to support the VectorLink project in Mali. Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the Lead Entomologist provides leadership and management oversight of all of the project’s entomological surveillance activities in country. In collaboration with the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP), the Lead Entomologist coordinates and oversees the project’s key entomological monitoring activities for integrated vector control and will guide key project and country-level vector control decisions based on data analysis and interpretation.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the development of national entomological monitoring plan in collaboration with National Malaria Control Program (NMCP), in country malaria vector control partners, research institutes, Universities and private sectors involved in malaria vector control
- Prepare a comprehensive annual entomological monitoring plan and detailed budget
Coordinate the implementation of the following set of entomological activities:
The establishment of entomological sentinel sites in selected districts
- Monitor malaria vector density and behavior pre- and post-deployment of vector control interventions using World Health Organization (WHO) standard mosquito sampling methods
- Conduct wall bioassays within two weeks after every spray cycle to evaluate the quality and efficacy of spraying
- Conduct wall bioassays monthly in selected districts to evaluate the residual efficacy of sprayed insecticides
- Monitor nationwide vector susceptibility to currently used and candidate insecticides on an annual basis
- Conduct intensity and synergist assays using WHO tubes and/or CDC Bottles in sentinel sites selected for insecticide resistance monitoring
- Work closely with identified entomology laboratories to facilitate the collection of molecular analysis data and ensure data quality
- Assist in developing and updating standard operating procedures (SOPs) and checklists for mosquito collection techniques and disseminating to all in country partners
- Ensure availability of susceptible mosquito colony to support quality assurance and susceptibility tests in country
- Train and supervise entomology technicians on maintaining mosquito colonies in an insectary, field mosquito sampling techniques, species identification, sample preservation and transport of mosquito samples from the field to the insectary or entomological working sites
- Ensure that the field teams follow all WHO , CDC and PMI approved guidelines, protocols, and SOPs for mosquito collections and bioassays
- Ensure that all data are recorded on data entry forms, entered accurately by a data clerk into databases and subsequently cleaned before sharing with partners and undertaking data analysis for inclusion in reports
- Implement capacity-building efforts to increase and expand the skills of local counterparts and field team technicians
- Prepare detailed semi-annual and annual entomological monitoring reports, insecticide resistance reports and IRS quality assurance reports
- Be involved in vector control operational research actvities
- Translate all PMI-approved entomological monitoring reports into French for dissemination to the NMCP
- Publish results from regular entomological monitoring and operational research activities in peer reviewed journals
- Actively participate in regular communication and meetings with Abt Home Office, PMI Mali and CDC
- Disseminate entomology results regularly to the Mali NMCP and partners to aid vector control decision making
- Prepare and present abstracts in national and international vector control and scientific conferences
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Masters Degree plus 4 years relevant experience, or a PhD and 2 years relevant experience in Entomology or other relevant field
- Relevant professional work experience with significant amounts of experience directly in entomological monitoring of malaria vector control products, particularly LLINs and IRS
- Demonstrated ability to work with a minimum of direction and supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work both as a member of a team and as a team leader, with the ability to accept the inputs of other team members
- Strong management and planning skills of project tasks and budgets
- Demonstrates leadership and team work and produces high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner and has excellent writing skills
Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication and computer skills
Experience with USAID and donor projects is highly desirable
- English and French language fluency
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.