Abt Associates Chief of Party - VectorLink Kenya in Kenya
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Under the supervision of the US-based Project Director, the Chief of Party manages, and supervises the successful implementation of the Vector Control TO1 Project, and acts as the primary liaison between the project and the local USAID mission, the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP), other government agencies completing malaria control activities, and various other malaria stakeholders in-country. The COP is required to provide overall strategic direction, operations management, technical leadership, and financial and administrative compliance for all project activities to assure IRS campaigns meet desired outcomes, are completed on-time, and within budget.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Represents Abt Associates and the PMI VectorLink Project to the PMI Advisor of the USAID Mission, the NMCP, county public health officials, and other key stakeholders
- Carries full authority and accountability for project decisions, as delegated by the U.S.-based Project Director
- Sets and pursues a results-oriented program strategy in coordination with the project team and in consultation with USAID, other partners and stakeholders
- Leads the development and production of all deliverables, including annual country work plans, semi-annual reports, and End-of-Spray reports
- Ensures that all country planning activities, spray operations, technical compliance measures, and other deliverables are achieved in a timely manner
- Develops a capacity-building plan for transferring IRS knowledge and skills to local institutions, and develops important connections for assuring an increased role of local institutions in IRS campaign planning, implementation, and monitoring
- Ensures that gender initiatives increase the participation of women at all levels and in all aspects of IRS programming, and ensure their safety
- Supervises and mentors the Operations Manager, F&A Manager, Technical Manager and others as needed
- Ensures that staff, team members and consultants understand their roles and responsibilities and comply with contract requirements, USAID and Abt policies and procedures
- Oversees the development and timely implementation of monitoring plans for all project activities and ensures that data required for USAID performance benchmarks and results frameworks are produced
- Ensures that project budget projections, expenditure, tracking and reporting are in accordance with USAID and Abt Associates requirements, procedures and practices
- Ensures that lessons learned and best practices are documented and shared
- Frequent travel to Kisumu, Homa Bay and Migori to supervise field activities and meet with county and other relevant stakeholders. Expected to spend significant time based out of the Kisumu during months leading up to, during and immediately after the campaign
- Direct the activities of the Security Focal Points and/or Country Risk Manager and will collaborate with the Global Security Office in the implementation and application of the Global Security Policy
- Coordinate and supervise security planning and operations to effectively support program management and the achievement of program goals
- Serve as the Chair of the Security Management Team and conduct SMT meetings once every eight weeks
Serve as Project Lead for the Security Management Team in the following capacity:
Ensure safety and security training is provided for all staff and that appropriate equipment is issued to staff
- Ensure that safety and security awareness is provided and that standards are followed and adhered to by all Abt staff and contractors
- Foster an environment in which all staff can comfortably discuss safety concerns
- Maintain local safety and security networks
- Perform incident management duties to ensure appropriate response and recovery
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master Degree (minimum), or a Doctorate Degree (desirable), in Public Health/Health Administration (or other relevant health specialization) or Business Administration. Candidates with Medical Degrees are also desirable
- 10 years of relevant international health experience, including significant experience in the area of malaria prevention and control
- Experience in the geographic/cultural region of the project is preferred
- At least 5 years of project management experience in large international health projects/programs
- Demonstrated leadership in management skills and ability to lead and motivate multidisciplinary, multicultural teams, ranging from 10 to 30 employees
- Experience managing a fast paced, results oriented, deadline driven project
Significant ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with USAID, ministry officials, and other development partners
Experience developing and communicating a project vision, aligning key stakeholders around the vision, and assuring the vision is translated into efficiently implemented program activities
- Fluency in English
- Ability to communicate and write reports and other professional documents in English
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer commited to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.