Abt Associates Technical Specialist / Senior Health Care Finance Specialist - HFIP Ethiopia in Ethiopia
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The USAID-funded Health Financing Improvement Program seeks to strengthen the health financing functions and systems to support universal health coverage of quality primary health care (PHC) services for Ethiopian citizens. Project objectives include increasing domestic resource mobilization for enhanced provision of quality PHC services, streamlining pooling of risk-sharing/insurance mechanisms for wider access to PHC services with reduced financial barriers, facilitating strategic purchasing of health services from public and private health providers, and improving governance, management and evidence-generation for health financing reforms and health facilities.
Under the supervision of the Health Systems and Governance Advisor and in close coordination with Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH), the Senior Health Care Finance (HCF) Specialist is seconded to the FMOH and is primarily responsible for providing technical and managerial assistance that supports the FMOH to plan, coordinate, and schedule USAID Health Financing Implementation Program Federal-level HCF activities. The position is based in the FMOH offices in Addis Ababa, with local travel as required.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist the FMOH in areas related to HCF reforms, including domestic resource mobilization, efficiency analysis, enhancing governance practices in public health facilities, expanding implementation of the private wing reform, design and implementation of provider payment mechanisms, generating HCF evidence to support decision-making, and other activities assigned by the FMOH and Health Systems and Governance Advisor
- Assist in building and institutionalizing FMOH capacity to implement HCF reforms
- Assist the FMOH in: establishing a HCF organizational structure at the Regional Health Bureau (RHB) and Zonal Health Department (ZHD) levels; defining the roles and responsibilities for HCF positions; advocating to RHBs and ZHDs for staffing these positions; and realigning with the structure
- Provide technical assistance to the FMOH in conducting capacity gap assessments to gage capacity in areas relevant to HCF reform implementation
- Assist the FMOH in networking with other relevant stakeholders (i.e., government, non-government organizations, civil society organizations, and private sector actors) and in coordinating other staff in organizing and conducting training and research, and in implementing HCF reforms
- Participate in the selection of universities and in-service training (IST) sites capable of taking over the capacity building tasks such as the development of training modules and conducting of training of trainers (TOT) to develop a cadre of master trainers
- Provide technical assistance in assessing the feasibility of, and in designing and implementing arrangements, managem6ent, and follow-up for complementary HCF initiatives in Ethiopia
- Provide technical expertise to the FMOH in producing advocacy tools for increased resource allocation and utilization in the health sector
- In coordination with the USAID Health Financing Improvement Program’s central office technical teams, plan, schedule, and logistically facilitate Federal-level interventions approved in the Program’s implementation plan and participate in their implementation
- Collaborate in the preparation of HCF-related working papers and articles, and disseminate results at various forums
- Write and/or contribute to project learning materials such as articles for project newsletter, working papers, success stories, presentations, and other inputs to support the project’s learning agenda
- Contribute to periodic diagnostic assessments, implementation research, and supportive supervision, revision of HCF guidelines and manuals, and monitoring and evaluation activities of HCF reforms areas
- Assist the FMOH to map and foster collaboration amongst development partners working in HCF arena
- Undertake any other tasks as may be assigned by the FMOH
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s Degree in Health Economics, Economics, Management, Accounting, Finance, Public Health, or other relevant field
- Minimum 8 years of relevant professional experience in HCF in Ethiopia
- Significant experience in the planning and management of HCF reforms
- Strong management and planning skills of project tasks and budgets
- Demonstrated leadership and team work and ability to produce high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner
- Proven experience of capacity building and team work with other stakeholders, notably government counterparts at different levels
- Excellent oral and writing skills in both Amharic and English languages
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience working on USAID-funded projects is highly desirable
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, SPSS/STATA)
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.