Abt Associates Administration Manager / Grants Manager - HFIP Ethiopia in Ethiopia
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The USAID-funded Health Financing Improvement Program seeks to strengthen the health financing functions and systems to support universal health coverage of quality primary health care (PHC) services for Ethiopian citizens. Project objectives include increasing domestic resource mobilization for enhanced provision of quality PHC services, streamlining pooling of risk-sharing/insurance mechanisms for wider access to PHC services with reduced financial barriers, facilitating strategic purchasing of health services from public and private health providers, and improving governance, management and evidence-generation for health financing reforms and health facilities.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Grants Manager to support the HFIP project in Ethiopia. Under the supervision of the Finance and Operations Director, and dotted line relationship to the Program’s Finance Manager and the finance, contracts, and administration team at Abt Associates’ home office in Rockville, the Grants Manager is responsible for overall grant management, and for ensuring that all grantee records are accurate, up-to-date, and audit-ready at all times. In addition, the Grants Manager will be responsible for cost share reporting under the Program.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide direct management of grants awarded under the USAID Health Financing Improvement Program cooperative agreement
- Oversee grants administration, compliance, and implementation procedures, and ensure compliance with USAID procurement regulations and local laws
- Participate in finalizing and/or updating the Program’s Grants Manual, as needed
- Conduct grants solicitation and advertisements; design and prepare grant review guidelines for evaluators, including scoring formats; review grant applications and convene grant committee meetings; participate in negotiations with applicants (including reviewing grant terms and conditions), prepare the negotiation memoranda and awards
- Develop and implement grant tracking system to ensure timely and correct execution of all grant agreements
- Strive to make the grant management processes as efficient and effective as possible. Monitor grantee budget utilization, collect and compile their financial reports, follow-up on upcoming fund releases and provide timely advice
- Maintain accurate, timely, and complete electronic database and hard copies of grant/grantee files and modifications, as well as grantee data and reports. Establish checklists and timetables to meet deadlines
- Keep relevant staff informed of reporting deadlines. Serve as liaison between the grantee and the Program. Build strong relationships with both finance and Program staff on grant deliverables
- Build the capacity of grantees to effectively manage grants and comply with grant requirements in areas such as technical and financial reporting, and in identifying donor (USAID) key compliance requirements
- Review monthly grantee reports/deliverables, verify accuracy, completeness, and allowable, allocable and reasonable costs. Share monthly updates with Program technical lead and grantee’s focal person
- Review vouchers from grantees and ensure that all payment requests are supported and justified by appropriate documentation
- Facilitate technical approval and payment of grantees, ensure successful and compliant close-out of grant activities, and work closely and maintain positive relationships with key stakeholders
- Collaborate with the monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) team to obtain or provide grant/grantee-relevant data
- Organize/provide ongoing support and training to strengthen grantee financial, management, and governance systems, as well as operational policies and manuals
- Make periodic visits to grantee organizations and institutions
- Provide ongoing support to the Finance and Operations Director
Cost Share Reporting:
- Develop cost share guidelines, templates, and data base
- Provide orientation to sub-grantees and project staff on the identification, recording, and submission of cost share reports
- Follow up on the timely recording, tracking, and cost share reporting from teams
- Maintain up-to-date and complete cost share files, both hard and electronic copy records
- Produce monthly cost share report to MEL team
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, Logistics, Procurement or related field
- At least six years of experience managing USAID awarded grants. Proven expertise in USAID Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) highly desirable
- Strong relationship management skills. Must be able to manage relationships with internal and external program stakeholders and partners
- Good computer skills, including excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members
- Ability and track record of working as part of a busy team and working effectively under pressure to tight deadlines
- Excellent written and spoken English required
- (6+) years of experience and bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.