Abt Associates Vice President, Global Business Development in Rockville, Maryland
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Known for its rigorous approach to solving complex challenges, Abt Associates is regularly ranked as one of the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 international development innovators. The company has multiple offices in the U.S. and program offices in more than 40 countries.
Abt Associates seeks Vice President of Global Business Development. The Vice President is the key executive responsible for driving and managing the global business development pipeline. The VP is accountable, along with each division’s leadership, for the respective division’s business development processes and results. S/he is responsible for ensuring that our business development pipeline meets our strategic objectives; specific areas of responsibility include: Portfolio Governance, Tier 1 opportunity Capture and Proposal Management, BD reporting and analytics.
The VP as a member of the leadership team will provide vision for and contribute leadership to business development strategy, new client development, client account management, and marketing strategies for Abt capabilities and offerings. In collaboration with the Chief Marketing & Business Development Officer, Division Vice President’s (DVP’s) and Abt leadership, the VP will develop a comprehensive, market-facing new business development strategy and model designed to support the short- and long-term growth goals of Abt’s global businesses.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage the One Global Abt opportunity pipeline
- Manage Tier 1 Gate and Color team process
- Partner with Division leadership to lead/drive growth across Abt’s global business, including developing strategy, and focusing Abt resources on the highest potential and highest impact captures and bids
- Work with the Global Business Development Unit (GBDU) to qualify business pipeline, focusing Abt resources on the highest potential and highest impact captures and bids while creating transparency around the global Business Development pipeline
- Collaborate with DVPs, C-Suite and client account managers to establish priorities, targets and budgets for business development with key clients
- Assure that business opportunity pipelines for key clients, and Global Business overall, are sufficient to support sales target achievement and Book-to-Bill ratios4
- Ensure that Abt applies industry best practices across the entire Business Development Life Cycle and participate as a player-coach in execution, especially supporting highest priority targets
- Lead identification of strategic long range business capture opportunities and Global Priority Bids. Verify that best practice, ‘next generation’ business development and proposal processes are applied to Global Priority Bids
- Coordinate, support or lead strategic capture and business development initiatives, supporting capture meetings, and serving on capture and proposal teams for strategic bids with key clients
- Be a driving force in instilling rigor in the business development process across the Global business platform to include the enhancement of BD analytics
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Minimum of 15 years of business development experience at a professional services organization that focuses on delivery of professional services to the U.S. federal government
- Proven track record leading and developing a business development function, including capture planning, proposal management, marketing outreach, and communications and branding
- Experience responding to RFPs, leading proposal teams and writing winning proposals
- Experience managing technical business development operations at an executive level
- Very strong business acumen and the ability to work in a structured corporate environment
- Proven ability to represent the firm at an executive level
- Highly developed communications skills including oral and written presentations of complex topics to a wide array of audience types, as well as experience in outward marketing and branding
- Track record for leading and managing large, diverse teams
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree or PhD preferred
- BA or BS degree with 15 + years of experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.