Abt Associates Senior Associate / Scientist / Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Director - MCSP Follow-On in Rockville, Maryland
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates seeks a Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Director for the Maternal and Child Health Survival Follow-On Project (MCSP+). MCSP is USAID’s flagship initiative in maternal and child health. This project is anticipated to focus on 20+ high-priority countries with the ultimate goal of preventing child and maternal deaths.
The MEL Director will work with the Project and Technical Directors to provide comprehensive M&E technical support to country programs, including work plan development, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual reporting, indicator selection and development and learning. This position will be based in Abt’s Rockville, MD office with expected international travel up to 20% of the year.
Position is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The MEL Director will be an integral part of the senior program management team and s/he will:
- Support the Project and Technical Directors in managing MEL activities and reporting for the project
- Develop MEL strategy for country programs and global activities based on the MCSP+ results framework
- Develop the project’s MEL structure and systems to facilitate and ensure all project programs collect and report on impact, output, outcome and program management indicators. This includes standardized reporting, performance monitoring, and evaluation for the project, and integrating performance data into program management and adaption plans
- Lead the operation of the project’s MEL systems including preparation of internal and external MEL reports
- Provide oversight for the collection of and reporting on impact, output, outcome and program management indicators by the country teams.
- Regularly review data collection processes, perform data quality assessments, and make adjustments as needed
- Lead development of the project’s global learning agenda and strategy in collaboration with USAID clients, country managers, and technical leads
- Analyze project M&E data across all countries for benchmarking and to identify trends and outliers
- Guide the development and distribution of meaningful strategic communication/advocacy tools and products, drawing from monitoring and evaluation (M&E) data
- Participate in strategic planning and work planning meetings
- Manage MEL team including a collaborating, learning, and adapting specialist and a communications specialist
- Other duties as reasonably directed
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Research Methods or related field plus 13-15 years of proven experience in the development and implementation of M&E systems and processes for complex international programs, with at least 5 years of experience of working on M&E methods for health projects
- Experience managing M&E for global program(s) highly preferred
- Proven capacity to communicate M&E data in accessible and engaging ways – experience in innovative visualization of results an advantage
- Demonstrated expertise and experience in data utilization strategies and ability to identify innovative data sharing techniques
- Solid analytical skills and ability to use MS Office, SPSS/STATA, qualitative analysis packages, and MS Excel
- Proven written and oral presentation skills in English
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with colleagues from a diverse set of health and non-health partners in both public and private sectors
- Experience with USAID programs required
- MA/MBA with 13-15 years OR PhD with 8-10 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer commited to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.