Abt Associates Senior Associate / Scientist / Finance and Operations Director - MCSP Follow-On in Rockville, Maryland
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates seeks a Finance and Operations (F&O) Director for the Maternal and Child Health Survival Follow-On Project (MCSP+). MCSP is USAID’s flagship initiative in maternal and child health. The follow-on project is anticipated to focus on 20+ high-priority countries with the ultimate goal of preventing child and maternal deaths. Under the supervision and management of the Project Director, the F&O Director will supervise a team of finance, grants, contract managers and analysts, and provide oversight for all operations issues in collaboration with the Country Coordinator Manager. S/he will provide training and oversight of all financial, grant, contractual, and program operations for the project. The position will be based in Abt’s Rockvill, MD office.
Position is contingent upon award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The F&O Director will be an integral part of the senior program management team and s/he will:
- Advise the MCSP+ Project Director on financial implications and contractual obligations of country-level projects in coordination with the MCSP+ invoicing and reporting team
- Responsible for the financial planning and analysis of country-level projects including forecasting and budget tracking; labor planning; and business profit and loss
- Responsible for providing contract administration supervision of project teams. Secure required information per FAR for preparing subcontract and consultant agreements, requisitions, material purchases, and provide project contract administration support as needed
- Work closely in collaboration with corporate Contract Operations team to fulfill contract administration requirements
- Oversee grants strategy for the project in coordination with the grants management team
- Responsible for supervision of proposal costing and estimating. Ability to review solicitations and prepare routine responses for proposals. Analyze and/or highlight for further assessment unique RFP requirements, terms and conditions, pricing and proposal submission requirements
- Oversee project compliance related to corporate policies of Abt Associates, USAID and US Government contractual requirements
- Serve as primary project liaison with Abt’s Contract Representative on high level personnel issues, and support other staff as needed in recruitment and onboarding of staff, , employee benefits tracking and administration, and assist in preparing consent requests for salary increases with the FCAs
- Participate in ongoing project risk assessment, conducting risk analysis and initiating improvements; reviewing non-pricing risk factors, such as conflict of interest, and developing solutions
- Provide training and guidance to all finance and operations staff on the application of Abt and client standards and procurement systems such as Iprocure)
- Manage any program audits
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, or relevant field plus 13 - 15 years of relevant professional experience in contract administration or project management, preferably in an international development field, with international health being particularly desirable
- Advanced knowledge of Federal and USAID Acquisition Regulations (FARs and AIDARs)
- Advanced proficiency in MS Excel
Demonstrated leadership experience managing teams of finance and operations staff for large-scale USAID programs required; experience managing global programs highly preferred
Strong analytical and computer skills, ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently, and familiarity with Internet resources
- Experience leading teams of home office and field finance, contract, administration staff for international development programs
- Experience with USAID grants management, including grants under contracts, highly preferred
- Excellent inter-personal, communication and organizational skills
- Excellent written and communication skills
- MA/MBA with 13-15 years OR PhD with 8-10 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer commited to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.