Abt Associates Research Assistant, Social and Economic Policy (Rockville, MD) in Rockville, Maryland
The Social and Economic Policy Division helps guide development of the nation’s prominent policies and programs. Our contributions—at all government levels—have resulted in better programs on housing, community revitalization, education, workforce development, income security, food assistance, and in support of children, youth, and disadvantaged families. Our clients include the Departments of Housing and Urban Development, Education, Health and Human Services, Labor, Veterans Affairs, and the Food and Nutrition Service, among others.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Research Assistant (RA) to support the Social and Economic Policy Division in Rockville, Maryland.
The RA will support project work across the divisions three practice areas—housing, income security and workforce, and education. The division is highly professional, collaborative, and collegial and RAs are supervised and mentored by more senior colleagues. The RA will support teams of researchers and technical assistance providers in executing high quality work for clients in the federal government and foundations. RAs work as part of larger project teams and must balance the fast pace of working on multiple assignments simultaneously. The position offers qualified applicants the opportunity to learn about policy topics within the division’s practice areas and develop professional skills in qualitative and quantitative research methods, analytic reasoning, verbal and written communication, project management, and related areas.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
Research Assistants may perform the following tasks under supervision:
- Code, collect, clean, and manage quantitative data and perform statistical analysis, modeling, simulation, or simple forecasting using standard statistical packages, such as SAS and Stata
- Support qualitative data collection by, for example, scheduling telephone interviews and site visits, helping to develop data collection protocols, taking interview notes, and helping to summarize interview data
- Conduct literature reviews using internet-based search techniques and research databases
- Apply project management techniques by implementing project timelines and coordinating the appropriate staff to meet scheduled milestones for a task (e.g., report development)
- Provide administrative support to project teams, including assisting with the coordination of presentations, meetings, and conferences
- Participate in meetings with clients and other external partners by telephone or in person and take meeting notes and prepare summaries
- Contribute to the development of project deliverables by drafting sections and preparing tables and charts
- Apply knowledge of computer-based word processing, presentation, spreadsheet and database applications to project work
- Keep abreast of trends and developments in the proposed field(s) of specialization, by for example, attending formal training to enhance quantitative/qualitative analysis skills, professional association meetings, and in-house professional development activities and events
- Participate in business development by contributing to the proposal development process. For example, by compiling staffing and corporate qualifications materials
- This is an entry-level position requiring quantitative research, qualitative research, writing, and analytical thinking skills
- Strong academic record required
- Sound judgement and discretion
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work well in fast paced environments, balance the demands of working on multiple projects simultaneously, and collaborate on teams
- BA/BS (0 – 1 years of experience) OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.