Abt Associates Principal Associate / Scientist - Surveys and Data Capture Account Lead, DSET in Rockville, Maryland
The Division of Data Science, Surveys and Enabling Technologies (DSET) is a fast-growing team working with clients across the globe to better understand and solve critical issues through the use of, technology, advanced analytics and integrated, purpose-driven data. Our passionate experts work across business sectors and topics with a focus on driving insights and actions leveraging scientifically sound data and intuitive systems for capturing and analyzing data as well as disseminating information and insights.
We seek a passionate, qualified Principal Associate to join our team to lead business development and portfolio management for our survey research and data capture practice. The role is focused on developing and driving our strategy and pursuing project opportunities in the areas of survey research (e.g., in-person, telephone, web, mobile, mixed-mode) and data capture (e.g., information collection, use of administrative records, web-scraping, IOT data). As a leader and expert in the field, the Principal Associate will serve on the division leadership team, developing and driving business strategy working closely with Abt’s many subject matter experts in the field, data scientists and technology specialists; oversee a large, broad portfolio of work with an array of government and non-government clients; and, build and mentor a team of experts with specializations in data collection, surveys, advanced analytics, and data science.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Lead in the development and implementation of a business strategy for identifying and winning large-scale opportunities related to the use of Abt’s survey research and data capture capabilities. Direct sales and proposal efforts in accordance with the Division's business development plan
Serve as a sales leader who takes responsibility for generating and managing a multi-million dollar revenue base annually
- Meet regularly with Abt clients to discuss client needs and trends and provide insight on new innovations and problem solution approaches Abt can provide
- Direct proposal efforts, conduct sales briefings, and manage client relation/development activities
- Maintain excellent business development relationships and be regarded within targeted markets as an industry expert
- Oversee the planning, design and implementation of project protocols and procedures
Delegate the work of translating client needs and/or objectives into specific deliverables in a timely and cost efficient manner
Oversee and manage the portfolio of on-going work, particularly complex and large projects with primary responsibility for client relations. Act as technical lead and quality reviewer on large and complex projects
- Build and mentor a team who will assist in business development, portfolio management and serve as senior project directors of larger, more complex projects
- Collaborate with peers in other divisions of the company to identify new research approaches and potential markets for those services
- Direct efforts to identify and recruit substantive senior staff for the purpose of overall staff allocation and project fulfillment. Actively participate in the development of less senior staff
- Maintain an industry presence as a subject-matter expert by publishing regularly in peer-reviewed journals and/or by presenting at annual conferences and meetings. Has name recognition
- Present and speak at client and professional meetings
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Significant experience in business development and client relationship management, with a focus on leading captures and winning large federal government opportunities in the areas of survey research and data capture
- Proven ability to lead a team of experts and work collaboratively across an array of disciplines within a large research organization
- Highest level of proven technical expertise and sought out as an expert within and outside the company
- Experience in the area of health-related research is preferable
- MA/MBA (15+) years of experience OR PhD (10 - 15) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.